By Meg Scott
Networking. The word can be intimidating, but it does not have to be. Advertising Club eliminates the pressure of networking and welcomes casual conversation and a fun environment.
On October 25th, Advertising Club hosted Speed Mentoring at Grand Rapids Brewing Company for the second time in Ad Club history. The event was open to all students in any major wanting to connect with professionals in an alternative setting. New and improved, 15 advertising and marketing professionals joined us as they sat across students as they enjoyed an evening of casual networking.
Students had five minutes with each professional to talk about any and everything. Pros sat on one side of the table while a student, or a few, would sit on the other. Besides stimulating conversations, everyone had the opportunity to enjoy drinks, chips, and guacamole.
The event was a major success, and the attendance was unbelievable. The room was filled with ambitious students and a diverse group of thriving professionals in Grand Rapids. Not only were students networking with professionals, they were also building connections with one another.
By the end of the night: students left with a handful of business cards, contacts for their future professional endeavors, and a wealth of new information.
Here’s a 12-minute podcast on Speed Mentoring and a short slideshow to capture the event.
Special thanks to AdFed for helping us pull off this amazing event and the pros for joining us:
- Adam Barr – Freelance Copywriter
- Ben Kaluski – Account Manager at Freshwater Digital LLC
- Dustin Foster – Partner, Editor, & Director at Chop & Hue
- Frank Blossom – Affiliate Professor at GVSU
- Genevieve McKeiver – Senior Account Manager at Our Full Attention
- Jessica Krysinska – Digital & Social Media Specialist at US Signal
- Karen Kasperlik – Business Development Manager at Thinkbox Creative
- Kristi Buckham – Creative Manager at Meijer
- Lydia VanHoven – Creative Lead at Meijer
- Mallary Johnson – Digital & Social Media Content Strategist at DDM
- Mike Colasanti – Principal, Media Buyer at SYNERGi
- Rachael Vruggink – Marketing Coordinator at Brunswick
- Rick Iseppi – Art Director at Extra Credit Projects
- Rob McCarty – Principal at The Image Shoppe
- Tom Crimp – Creative Director at AUXILIARY Advertising & Design